Wednesday, January 21, 2009

SWA #2

Kathleen Parker's article, Seeking Balance in an Either-or-World, explores the intermediate space between idealism and realism. She writes of how most of the world puts themselves on one side of this spetrum, but never in between the two. Parker includes a quote from John P. Avlon that says, "Extremists and ideological purists on either side of the political aisle condemn compromise." This quote helps support Parker's point because it further shows how there is no "middle" in between being conservative and being liberal.
Parker uses the example of abortion to illustrate an agreeable compromise between the conservative and liberal aspects of the issue. She describes how over the years she has written and urged pro-life, while still clinging to a pro-choice conclusion. She comes to this conclusion by saying that abortion is a terrible way to terminate an innocent child's life; however, she can find no way to justify government-enforced maternity. In many ways, I agree with Parker in the fact that abortion is an awful method of killing an innocent baby, however the government has no right to tell a woman that she has to have a baby. Furthermore, Parker talks about compromise. She says that schools should further urge the use of birth control methods, therefore lowering the amount of abortions that would take place if they were legal. I also agree with Parker on this point because educating children that abortion is a violent act and teaching them how to avoid it would be a much better alternative to the government having the rights over a woman's choice to reproduce.

5 comments:

  1. Melissa's response to Parker's article is very strong and opinionated. She does a great job of analyzing the statments and examples that are in the article. You can tell she payed close attention to essay because she goes into great detialon parker's view on abortion. it was a very good response blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa does a great job of analyzing parkers essay. She is very opinionated in her response to the article, and does a great job of providing examples. You can tell that she payed close attention to parkers article because she goes into detail on parkers view on abortion. her response was very strong and good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that teaching kids about abortion would be a smart thing to do so they can learn about it and not leave the government in as much control as they are over these peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written. You did a good job of analyzing Parker's point and then also including your own opinion. I agree with you I don't necessarily agree with the idea of abortion but I also don't think it is the job of anyone else to decide what happens to a woman's body. I also agree that education on birth control methods would help decrease the probability of abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your response to this article. I felt like related well to this article and what she had to say about being in the middle. I can see both sides to abortion just as you and Parker have written. I also agree that abortion wouldn't be such a problem if kids were properly taught how to use birth control and condoms.

    ReplyDelete